Exporting data for analysis and reporting
The system provides lots of reports and lists. However, there will be times when you want to create your own report or need to analyze data in Excel. Exports are also super handy for labels and when you need to share data with other members of your team.
In this article we will review:
If you are looking to export all your data, including all family and student information, the prebuilt exports are the place to start. Go to Account Settings / Export Data:
Families for Administration: this will give you all family data formatted as one row per family and includes all family contact information, membership and confirmation details. Students are shown in a comma separated field that can be parsed out if necessary.
- Families for Directories: perfect for schools wanting to create their own custom print directories. This export only includes the contact information opted in by families. For example: if the family wishes to hide their address, it will not be included in this export. Additionally, families that have excluded themselves entirely will not be included in this export.
- Students for Administration: this export is the same as the families option however this will give you all students formatted as one row per student. This export includes teacher and grade assignments. Use this export when you want to analyze data by class or grade.
- Students for Directories: perfect for creating custom classroom lists this export is the same as the families option however this will give you all students formatted as one row per student. This export includes teacher and grade assignments. Use this export when you want to create class listings.
- Individual Members: this export will give you all Individual parents, faculty or students that are marked as members. This is typically used to report PTA membership. If you need Family membership please go to the Family Membership display and export from the list.
- Family AND Individual Parent members: this export combines both families and parents marked as members and provides an export with one row per parent. This is handy for PTA organizations that record at both the family and parent level and need to get a complete list of all parents for a total membership count.
- Parent email: this will give you all parents name and email addresses, excluding those that have unsubscribed from email.
- Parent emails by grade or class: this option will take you to a screen where you can search by grade or class and export.
- Faculty: a complete export of faculty data.
Tip: When you want to create nice reports or labels from exports, nothing beats MS Word and mail merge. Here is a link to the MS site on getting started with mail merge. A quick Google search will also give you a wealth of resources.
Exports available from lists and searches
In addition to the exports above, you'll find many exports built into the lists on individual search pages. For example, you can export all parents signed up for an event and use to check off when they arrive. Or you may wish to export all purchases made for a specific grade or teacher.
Look for the export icon or a green button at the bottom of any listing where an export is available.