Creating an Email
In this lesson:
Go to Email / Compose
Enter Text in Header Fields
First, you'll want to complete the email header fields.
- Email Title: This field is only seen by administrators. Choose words that describe the significance of this particular email to ease your later search efforts in locating it. For example:
- Book Fair - Announcement #1 - 2 weeks prior
- Book Fair - Announcement #2 - 1 week prior (if signups remain)
- Book Fair - Family Night Invitation
- From Email Address: This appears as the Sender's email address. Any replies to this email will be directed to the address you enter here.
- From Name: This is the name of the Sender as it appears to parents.
- Email Subject: Your subject will determine if your email is opened or ignored. Make it count! Here are suggestions:
Tip: Keep your Subject meaningful and concise. It alone can communicate your intent even when the email isn't opened.
- Summarize your message: "January Newsletter: SAT Update, Ski Trip, Spring Event Dates"
- Reference action needed: "Response Required: Nov. 10 Parent-Teacher Conference Signups"
- Include deadline if one applies: "Yearbooks on Sale! Ends Feb. 20th - Order Here".
- Avoid extra words such as adjectives.
Build an Effective Message
A well-organized, effective message will increase the likelihood of recipients reading your email and taking action. Stay focused on the purpose of your email. If you'll include multiple topics, consider using section headings to distinguish the multiple sections. Here are helpful related MSA articles on building custom messages with links and images:
Save early and often
Test! Send to Yourself First
It's best practice to send yourself or a few colleagues a test email before sending a blast to your community. This is especially wise if you have links or graphics in your email. Ensure these are referenced correctly by testing them first.
- Go to Email / Edit and Send and locate the email you'd like to send. Choose Send to > then Selected Parents.
- The system will take you to a page where you can filter by family names to generate a selectable list. Select the checkboxes next to the parents you'd like to send your test email to.
- Click the green Email Checked Parents button at the bottom of the list.